click on a region in the above map or in the right column to go to that region's webpage.
Lake Erie Shore Erosion Management Plan
Vermilion River to Cleveland Harbor
In an on-going effort to assist property owners along Ohio’s Lake Erie coast by providing free technical assistance, the Lake Erie Shore Erosion Management Plan (LESEMP) is being developed by the Ohio Department
of Natural Resources through a partnership between the Office of Coastal Management, Division of Wildlife and Division of Geological Survey.
The LESEMP identifies the causes of erosion in specific areas called reaches which are stretches of shore with similar site conditions. The LESEMP then outlines the most likely means of successful erosion control based on reach-specific erosion issues, geology and habitat. The objective of the reachbased approach to erosion control is to simplify the decision process while enhancing the effectiveness of solutions to erosion related issues.
The LESEMP does not contain any regulatory oversight provisions.
This chapter of the LESEMP is being developed or will be developed in the near future (see below). For help with erosion control along Ohio’s coast, contact the Office of Coastal Management.
The LESEMP Work Plan calls for development of region-based recommendations for erosion control in the following order followed by the status of development:
- Region AC: Ashtabula County – recommendations drafted and posted online.
- Region WB: Western Basin – recommendations drafted and posted online.
- Region CV: Cedar Point to Vermilion River – recommendations drafted and posted online.
- Region LC: Vermilion River to to Cleveland Harbor – recommendations will be drafted when BG is complete.
- Region CH: Cleveland Harbor – recommendations will be drafted when LC is complete.
- Region BG: Bratenahl to Grand River – recommendations are being drafted.
- Region EL: Grand River to Lake County Line – recommendations will be drafted when BG is complete.
- Region MP: Northern Marblehead Peninsula to Johnson's Island and Ohio's Lake Erie Islands – recommendations will be drafted when EL is complete.
- Region SB: Sandusky Bay Region – recommendations will be drafted when MP is complete.
- Region MB: Maumee Bay Region – recommendations will be drafted when SB is complete.