Network and Internet connection: The Macintosh G3 and G4 computers have all the necessary networking hardware and software. Use a "10-base-T" connector from the back of the Macintosh to an "internet port." There are a few settings that are needed to be entered into the "TCP/IP" Control Panel which will require the assistance of local network administrator. The network administrator also needs to assign an "IP address" (or the equivalent web server machine name) for the computer.
Note: when selecting a permanent site for the computer, be sure to have a full time internet port accessible.
Web Server Set-up: MacOS 8.x makes it easy for the Macintosh to become a web server. The typical web server set-up is as follows:
- Place the CD-ROM into the computer. Open the CD to see its contents. There should be a folder labeled "Place these in Web Pages Folder."
- Open this folder, it should contain the following Items:
- Three folders labeled "Data", "DayView", and "DayVu2s." These are the folders Seismograf will write data for internet access.
- One document file named "index.html." This is the web servers home page. Visitors will be able to access and download the seismic data from here.
- One folder labeled "images." This folder should contain three image files used by the HTML document:
- Open the Macintosh HD, there should be a folder labeled "Web Pages" on the Hard Drive. Copy these files (Drag and Drop) from the CD-ROM to the "Web Pages" folder on the Macintosh HD.
- Close the CD window.
- Go to the Apple Menu, click and hold the mouse button down.
- While holding the mouse button scroll to "Control Panels."
- "Control Panels" will be highlighted, scroll to the "Web Sharing" control panel and release the mouse button.
- The "Web Sharing" control panel should now be open on the desktop.
- Go to "Web Identity."
- Look at the "Web Folder" text field. It should read "Macintosh HD:Web Pages" If not, click the "Select..." button. Then click the top menu button, and from the drop-down list select "Macintosh HD." Scroll to the bottom of the list, highlight "Web Pages", click "Select."
- Look at the "Home Page" text field. Click the "Select..." button. Click to highlight "index.html" listed in the open window. Click "Select."
- In the "Web Sharing" control panel go to "Web Sharing Off" and click the "Start" button below.
- The control panel should now read "Web Sharing On" and the button below should read "Stop."
- Click the "Give everyone read-only access" radio button.
- On the Menu Bar next to the Apple Menu icon there should be three menu items: "File", "Edit", and "Help". Click "Edit" and scroll down to "Preferences." A window titled "Web Sharing Preferences" should open.
- Click the "Options" tab.
- At the bottom of the window is the "Memory Allocation" setting. Click the button to the right of "Maximum size:"
- From the list select "4800 K."
- Click "Save."
- Close "Web Sharing Preferences" window.
- Close "Web Sharing" control panel<
Last update March 19, 2003
Ohio Seismic Network http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/OhioSeis