July 14, 2006
2006 OHIO TREE FARMER OF THE YEAR TOUR
SET FOR SEPTEMBER 30 NEAR TIVERTON CENTER
COLUMBUS, OH The Eli Hochstetler family of Mount Hope, 2006 Ohio Tree Farmer of the Year, will host a public farm tour at their Tiverton Timber Tree Farm near Tiverton Center on September 30th, from 8:30a.m. to 4:30p.m., according to the ODNR Division of Forestry.
The public tour is designed to showcase forest management practices while offering learning opportunities through a variety of seminars and programs provided throughout the day.
The Tiverton Timber Tree Farm is located in northwestern Coshocton County off of State Route 206 and Township Road 352. For a map, please call the ODNR Division of Forestry at 877-247-8733.
ODNR service foresters, private industry foresters, wildlife and oil/gas specialists, and educators will be on hand to present a wide variety of seminars and programs including:
- Selecting Trees for Harvest & Tree Planting Procedures
- Crop Tree Release Thinning & Dealing with High Graded Stands
- Best Management Practices for Logging & Felling Techniques and Safety
- Deer herd management, herbicide use, and invasive species control
- Horse logging, lumber grading, small sawmill operation, proposed CAUV/OFTL tax law merger, chainsaw maintenance, and Emerald Ash Borer
- For the kids there will be a fossil dig and a “forestry for beginners” program.
Refreshments and registration will begin at 8:30am and the seminars will begin at 9am.
The Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Forestry is co-sponsoring the event along with the Coshocton County Soil & Water Conservation District, the Ohio Tree Farm Committee, the Ohio Forestry Association, Smurfit-Stone Container Corporation, American Electric Power, and Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District.