Coastal Resources Advisory Council
To advise the Director of ODNR on the Ohio Coastal Management Program and to promote, protect, enhance, and encourage the wise use of Lake Erie's coastal resources and its watershed.
2014 Full Council Meetings:
Council's 2014 meeting schedule was set during the Thursday Nov. 7, 2013, council meeting as follows:
- Wednesday Feb. 12 meeting was held at the ODNR Division of Watercraft Cleveland Field Office, 1150 E. 49th Street, Cleveland Ohio. Download the agenda (PDF).
- Thursday May 1 - National Museum of the Great Lakes, 1701 Front Street, Toledo OH
- Thursday August 7 - location TBA
- Thursday November 6 - location TBA
Meetings are open to the public and are traditionally held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. with a public comment period scheduled at noon. Meetings are usually held at locations in Ohio's eight coastal counties; rotating between the counties to allow for council members to become familiar with each area of the coast and to allow coastal residents to have a meeting held in close proximity to them each year. Meeting agendas are posted online one week prior to the meeting. People interested in being added to a meeting agenda should contact the Office of Coastal Management.
The Coastal Resources Advisory Council is defined in Ohio Revised Code Section 1506.12 for the purposes of:
Advising the director on coastal management laws.
Recommending to the director such policies and legislation as are necessary to preserve, protect, develop, and restore or enhance the coastal resources of the state;
Reviewing and making recommendations to the director on the development of policies, plans and programs for long-term, comprehensive coastal resource management, including, without limitation, the coastal management program document.
Recommending to the director ways to enhance cooperation among governmental agencies.
The 19 members of the Coastal Resources Advisory Council are appointed to four-year terms by the ODNR director in accordance with Ohio Revised Code Section 1506.12. Members represent a broad range of interests, experience, and knowledge relating to the management, use, conservation, protection and development of coastal area resources.
The council is required to have at least:
One member from each shoreline county (Lucas, Sandusky, Ottawa, Erie, Lorain, Cuyahoga, Lake and Ashtabula);
One public official from each a coastal county;
Three individuals who own private littoral property in a coastal county;
One public official of a municipal corporation that is located in a coastal county;
Two individuals who are members of the Ohio association of realtors and whose places of business as specified in section 4735.16 of the Revised Code are located in the shoreline area;
Two individuals with experience in residential and commercial land development in the shoreline area.
No more than ten members of the council shall be from the same political party.
- Tom Denbow, Chair - Cuyahoga County
- Dr. Robert Heath, Vice Chair - Portage County
- Kenneth Alvey - Cuyahoga County
- Sandy Bihn - Lucas County
- Eric B. Dodrill - Erie County
- Dan Donaldson - Lake County
- George J. Goudreau, Jr. - Cuyahoga County
- John Hageman - Ottawa County
- Joseph A. Hayberger - Erie County
- Charles Edward Herdendorf - Lorain County
- Debbie Hymore-Tester - Ottawa County
- Leslie Korenko - Erie County
- Doug Natoce - Ottawa County
- James M. O’Connor - Lorain County
- David M. Spotts - Ashtabula County
- Andrew (Tom) Szabo - Lake County
- Vince D. Urbanski - Lake County
- John Willey - Sandusky County
- Vacant Seat
Minutes from pervious years may be obtained by contacting the Office of Coastal Management at 419-626-7980.
Apply for Council
Council members are appointed to by the director of ODNR to four-year terms. Ten council seats are up for appointment/reappointment on 2/1/2014 and nine seats are up for appointment/reappointment on 2/1/2016.
An application for consideration of appointment to council will be added soon. Interested parties may also contact the Office of Coastal Management at 419-626-7980 for more information.