Safety Equipment Inspections in the Off-season
During the off-season, boating may not be at the forefront of your mind. However, it is a good time to inspect your safety equipment. With no boating trips pressing you to check things out quickly, you have the time now to go through your equipment thoroughly.
By taking some time to perform a complete inspection of your equipment during the off-season, you are sure to have an easy and safe start to your boating season when spring arrives.
- Life Jackets: Inspect each life jacket for wear and tear. The material should show no signs of mildew or rot. Check for any tears in the material and straps. If you find any damage, discard the life jacket and replace it.
- Flares: Check the expiration date on your flares. Buy new flares if the dates have passed.
- Fire Extinguishers: Check your fire extinguisher and ensure it is properly charged. If it has lost any of its charge, have it recharged or replace it.
- First-Aid Kit: Check everything for expiration dates. Replace anything expired and restock all supplies used during the previous boating season.
- Electronic Gear: Get fresh batteries for your portable electronics. Make sure to inspect the connections before inserting the new batteries.
- Inspect dock and anchor lines: Check all lines for signs of wear and replace them if necessary.